Thursday, November 10, 2005

Penny for your thoughts

Last Sunday, whilst at a friends house I came up with the bright idea of dyeing my own yarn. I thought if I enjoy it, and most importantly can do it well I could sell it. That's one of many brainstorms I have every so often. Hubby says if he had a penny for every business idea I had, he could give up work.

Monday morning I ordered some 4ply yarn and bid on some kool aid on Ebay. We can't buy kool aid in the UK, well I've never seen it if you can. I won my bid.

Firstly, I soaked my 4ply wool in warm water. Whilst that was soaking, I mixed each kool aid sachet with 8oz of water. I then squeezed the excess water out of the wool and applied the dye. I used the microwave method of heating/steaming and found that very quick and easy. I was expecting a lot more mess, in fact, it was considerably tidy.

Does anyone know of an alternative to kool aid that I could buy here in the UK? I'm going to try my next lot using Dylon, any tips?

I love the colourway, although it's a bit wishy-washy. I definitely need to concentrate the dye more next time. However, this skein will go on to become another pair of socks. It seems I've gone sock crazy.

7 comments:

goodkarma said...

I don't know what you can use in the UK that's the equivalent to Kool Aid, but if you email your mailing address to me, I'll be happy to send a package of Kool Aid to you! :)

savannahchik said...

do you have any drink mixes that don't contain sugar? i think that's the determining factor -- the sugar will gum up the yarn.

ra said...

have you tried this? http://www.koolaiduk.com/index.php

SweetPeaknits said...

Karma, thats so sweet of you thank you. However, ra has now given me a great website to order from - thanks so much for that.

Savannachick - I'll also be looking out for some sugar free drink mixes.

Thank again for your valuable advice.

Viri said...

We don't have kool aid here in hungary, I use some drink mixes that say sugar free. But you can also use food coloring or flavoring, but then add some cictric acid into the mixture...

Knitting Mummy said...

Hi, read your blog all the time, I have one but not up and running yet, just wanted to say another website www.cybercandy.co.uk also sell Kool Aid.

SweetPeaknits said...

Knitting mummmy - thanks for stopping by and reading my mish-mash of a blog. Thanks also for the info, I'll definately be dyeing again.